The Distinct Official (Proprietary) Limited t/a The Distinct ("We") are committed to protecting and
any Personal Information we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your Personal
Information and how we will treat it. By visiting https://www.thedistinct.co.za, or any of our other
websites or social media networks (“our website”), you are accepting and consenting to the practices
Reference to “consent”, “your consent” or “your explicit consent” shall include the ticking of a
tick box or clicking on a “submit” button or “I agree” button on our website.
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM YOU
When ordering Products or registering on our website (whichever is applicable) we may collect and
process the following Personal Information about you:
- Personal Information you give to us: You may provide us with Personal Information about you when
you engage with us via our website or directly with any of our representatives or when you
purchase Products from our website. Depending on your usage of our website, you will be required
to provide us with such information as to enable us to effectively provide the Products to you.
- Personal Information we collect about you: With each of your visits to our website we may
automatically collect the following information from you:
- Technical information: This information shall include the IP Address used to connect your
computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time-zone setting,
browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform. Your IP Address is
automatically logged by our servers and used to collect traffic data about visitors to our
website. We do not use your IP Address to identify you personally; and
- Information about your visit to our website: This information shall include the full Uniform
Resource Locators (URL) Clickstream to, through and from our website (including the date and
time) and the Products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length
of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and
Mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our
Customer Service number.
- Information we receive from other sources: We may receive Personal Information about you where
you have authorised us to collect information from selected third parties (i.e. financial
service providers or other service providers available via our website). In this case we will
have informed you when we collected that Personal Information that it may be shared internally
and combined with information collected on our website. We are also working closely with third
parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and
delivery services, insurance brokers, advertising networks, analytics providers, search
information providers) and may receive information about you from them to improve our services
for the sale of the Products to you.
better understand which Users have seen which web pages and advertisements, to determine how
frequently particular pages are visited and to determine the most popular areas of our website.
Depending on the type of cookie we use, cookies also allow us to make our website more User
friendly, for example, permanent cookies may allow us to save your password so that you don't
have to re-enter it every time you visit our website.
- You should be able to adjust your browser so that your computer does not accept cookies. If you
do this, you will still be able to browse the website but the functions that allow you to access
an existing account or page that requires a username or password will not be available.
- You can, alternatively, adjust your browser to notify you when a website attempts to put a
cookie on your computer. How you adjust your browser to stop it accepting, or to notify you, of
cookies, will depend on the type of internet browser programme your computer uses.
- Please remember, cookies do not contain Personal Information such as your home address,
telephone number or credit card details. We do not exchange cookies with any third party
websites or external data suppliers.
3. USE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will not sell your Personal Information.
- We may however use Personal Information, which relates to you, in the following ways:
- Information you give to us: We will use this information to:
- verify who you are when engaging with us;
- carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us (or
selected third parties) and to provide you with the information and Products that you request
from us or selected third parties or Products we offer that are similar to those that you have
already acquired or enquired about or that will further contribute to our philosophy;
- notify you about changes to our (or selected third parties’) Products;
- ensure that Content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for
your computer; and
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to our website or your use
- Information we collect about you: We will use this information:
- to administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis,
testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our website to ensure that Content is presented in the most effective manner for you
and for your computer;
- as part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and other Users, and
to deliver relevant advertising; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other Users of our website about additional
products or services that may interest you or them.
- Information we receive from other sources: We may combine this information with the information
provided at paragraph 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 above. We may use this information and the combined
information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
- Submission of Personal Information on behalf of another: If you provide information on behalf of
someone else, then it is your responsibility to obtain the necessary consent from such
person/User before making the information available to us. On receipt of Personal Information we
assume that the necessary consent has been obtained and will process the Personal Information as
per your instructions. By submitting such Personal Information on behalf of another person/User,
you indemnify us against any third party claim, where such third party claim relates to Personal
Information which has been processed without the necessary consent or other available exception
4. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- We may share your Personal Information with any member of our group, which shall include our
subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in the Companies
- We may share your Personal Information with selected third parties:
- We may share your Personal Information with business partners and sub-contractors for the
performance of any contract we enter into with them for purposes of our sale of the Products to
you, or where you have entered into a contract with them, as per your selection. Our engagement
with any third party will be under a contract with specific reference made to the fact that your
Personal Information must be managed on a confidential basis;
- We may share your Personal Information with service providers that provide information
processing services to us. In these instances the third parties shall be required to enter into
process and protect your Personal Information in accordance with our instructions. Occasionally
the third party service providers may be outside the borders of the Republic of South Africa and
will we transfer your Personal Information to them for the necessary processing services;
- We may share your Personal Information with a third party where we sell or buy any business or
assets, in which case we may disclose your Personal Information to the prospective seller or
buyer of such business or assets;
- We may share your Personal Information with a third party where a substantial part of our assets
are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Information held by us about our Users
will be one of the transferred assets; or
- We may share your Personal Information with a third party if we are under a duty to disclose or
share your Personal Information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to
Supply for the supply of the Products to you and other agreements; or to protect our rights,
property, or safety or that of others. This may include exchanging information with other
companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Kindly take note: We only share de-identifiable information to advertisers and advertising
networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not
disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them
with aggregate information about our Users (As an example, we may inform them that 850 women,
aged between 21 and 30, have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use
such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target.
We may make use of the Personal Information we have collected from you to enable us to comply
with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- We may share your Personal Information with analytics and search engine providers that assist us
in the improvement and optimisation of our website (we do not disclose identifiable Personal
Information to them).
5. WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- The Personal Information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a
destination outside of the Republic of South Africa. By submitting your Personal Information,
you agree that we may transfer, store and process it accordingly. We will take all steps
reasonably necessary to ensure that your Personal Information is treated securely and in
- All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or
where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you
are responsible for keeping this password safe and confidential. We ask that you not share this
password with anyone.
- Records of Personal Information will not be retained for longer that is necessary for
operational or archiving purposes for which the information was collected, unless retention of
record is required or authorised by law. Records of Personal Information may be retained for
periods in excess of those contemplated for historical, statistical or research purposes,
subject to us establishing appropriate safeguards against the records being used for any other
purpose and or we have de-identified the record(s).
- Despite our best efforts the transmission of information over the Internet may not always be
completely secure. Although we will use appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational
measurements to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data
transmitted to our website or to any other location by electronic means and any transmission is
at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use appropriate and reasonable
technical and organisational measurements to try to prevent any unauthorised access.
6. SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
- Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that we, our
directors or employees participate in are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the
privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
- You are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate/engage with them with due
care and caution in regard to their own privacy and Personal Information. PLEASE NOTE: WE WILL
NEVER ASK FOR PERSONAL OR SENSITIVE INFORMATION THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS AND ENCOURAGE
USERS, WISHING TO DISCUSS SENSITIVE DETAILS OR TO RESOLVE ISSUES/CONCERNS, TO CONTACT US THROUGH
PRIMARY COMMUNICATION CHANNELS SUCH AS BY TELEPHONE OR EMAIL.
- Our social network page(s) may share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social
media platforms shorten lengthy URL's. You are advised to exercise caution and due care before
clicking on any shortened URL's published on social media platforms by this website. Despite our
best efforts to ensure that only genuine URL's are published many social media platforms are
prone to spam and hacking and therefore our website and its owners cannot be held liable for any
damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
7. INTERCEPTION AND MONITORING OF COMMUNICATIONS
We reserve the right to intercept, monitor, copy or block communications to and from our
communications facilities (including, but not limited to, our website, portal, email, SMSs, etc) in
accordance with the relevant provisions of the law.
8. YOUR RIGHTS
- Marketing: You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing
purposes. We will usually inform you if we intend to use your information for such purposes or
if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise
your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect
your Personal Information. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at
email@example.com or use the unsubscribe functionality ("opt out") on our email
- Third Party Websites/Social Media Websites: Our website may, from time to time, contain links to
and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link
to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and
that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these
policies before you submit any Personal Information to these websites.
- Access to information: You have a right to see/access your Personal Information kept by us. You
may instruct us to provide you with any Personal Information we hold about you upon receipt of a
written request and possible payment of a fee as per PAIA.
- Amendments to information: You are entitled to correct, update or amend any Personal Information
you submitted to us by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. CREDIT CARD DETAILS
No credit card details are stored on our website and will therefore be stored separately from your
appropriate (although we are not obliged to), notified to you by e-mail. The new version will apply
when it is published on our website. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to
11. CONTACT US
forward it to: email@example.com (for attention of the Information Officer).
- Clickstream means a series of mouse clicks made by you while accessing the Internet,
specifically our website;
- Companies Act means the Companies Act, Act 71 of 2008 (as amended);
- Content means any information, content, images, video, audio, data, works of authorship,
materials, software and technology which may be displayed on, incorporated into, underlying, or
used to operate our website;
- Internet Protocol (IP) Address means a set of numbers which are assigned to the User’s computer
during a browsing session whenever the User logs onto the Internet via the User's internet
service provider or the User's network (if the User access' the Internet from, for example, a
computer at work);
- Mouse-over means the action whereby certain information is displayed when a User hovers their
computer mouse pointer over a specific area and information is displayed by way of a pop-up box;
- PAIA means the Promotion of Access to Information Act, Act 2 of 2000 (as amended);
- Personal Information shall have the same meaning attributed to it in terms of the POPI Act;
- POPI Act means the Protection of Personal Information Act, Act 4 of 2013;
- Products means the products available for purchase on our website, including, without
limitation, travel bags, premium coffee, mugs, cups and all ancillary products;
- TDO Platform means the software program/information technology platform made available by us to
you in order for you to purchase the Products; and
- User(s) means users of our website (including u!).